Social media has been a part of both our personal and business daily lives for many years now. It is an ever changing channel for communication and one that is continually measured. As we evaluate marketing channels for our clients, we review demographic and behavioral data to choose the platforms that best match the audiences we are targeting.
A lot of information exists online for those wanting to take a deep dive into social media statistics, so here are five social media stats for 2018 identified in a survey of U.S. adults by Pew Research Center:
- Facebook remains the primary social media platform for most Americans. 68% (roughly two-thirds of U.S. Adults) use Facebook online or on their mobile phone and approximately three-fourths of those users access Facebook every day.
- Instagram has experienced substantial growth in number of users. 35% now report using Instagram, up seven percentage points from 2016.
- Twitter is most popular among 18 - 29 year olds. 40% of this age group uses Twitter with slightly higher usage for ages 18 - 24 at 45%.
- LinkedIn boasts more college graduates as users and higher household incomes. 50% of college graduates in the U.S. use LinkedIn and 45% report a HHI of $75,000+.
- Most Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram users visit these platforms on a daily basis. 51% of Facebook users and 49% of Snapchat users report using the platforms several times a day.