Social media is without a doubt one of the most popular online activities. With more than 3.2 billion social media users, it's hard to ignore the power of these platforms. Whether you are enjoying some personal down-time by perusing your friends' posts or researching customer comments on the next big purchase you are considering, social media is influencing everything we think, say or do.
Brands have recognized the power of social media and are investing more of their marketing dollars into expanding their reach through these channels. The trends are ever-changing and that's why it's critical for your business to stay up to date on what's happening on social. Here are the top 8 social media stats that we think you should be paying attention to:
- Up to 3 hours per day are spent on social media networks. We are all slowly becoming social media addicts. From scrolling down our bottomless Facebook feed to posting the perfect brunch photo on Instagram, social media is becoming more integrated into our daily lives. When planning out your marketing channels, make sure you have a presence where your target audience is already spending their time – on social media. (Globalwebindex, 2019)
- 54% of social browsers use social media to research products. More buyers are using social media networks to look for reviews and recommendations on the products they want to purchase. Buyers are not just looking at Google Reviews or customers' reviews within a product's website. They can find a variety of recent comments about a product in their social media feeds, and these reviews are seen as more candid and less biased. This is why it's essential to have a prominent online presence for your brand on various social media platforms. (Globalwebindex, 2018)
- Social media users are 40 times more likely to share video content over any other type. Video is king and this stat proves it. The reason for this is simple. People want to be entertained and videos are successful in doing just that. Brands are using video to create emotional connections, educate viewers, share their authenticity, provide humor and make announcements. The sooner you embrace video as part of your social media content, the sooner you can start achieving the same results. (HubSpot, 2019)
- 93% of businesses gain a new customer due to a video posted on social media. With potential customers browsing social media platforms for product purchase research, video has proven to be an extremely effective tool for converting them into a new customer. This statistic brings the previous two stats together. Video content + research on social media = a converted customer. (Social Media Today, 2019)
- Roughly two-thirds, 68%, of U.S. adults report that they are Facebook users. Facebook remains the most widely used social media platform with over 2.32 billion active monthly users. Each social media channel has its own demographic profile of users. But if your marketing budget is tight and only allows for penetration within one social channel, then Facebook is your answer because it casts the widest net. (Pewinternet, 2018)
- Daily active Instagram Stories increased to 500 million in January 2019. Stories are a big deal on Instagram. They let you share moments of your day or highlights from your brand's activity by standing out from the clutter of the normal feed. Instagram stories are built to boost engagement with the ability to ask questions, run polls or add stickers to make your content as unique as possible. For brands, Instagram stories provide an opportunity to feature more authentic moments without excessive production. (Statista, 2019)
- 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content. LinkedIn has secured its spot as the leading B2B social media platform. Among all of the platforms being used to distribute content, B2B marketers are focused on LinkedIn to reach their target audiences. This is further supported by the fact that 91% of executives rank LinkedIn as their first choice for professionally relevant and quality content. (Hootsuite, 2019)
- 85% of Small to Medium Business Twitter users say Twitter is essential for customer service. While users only spend an average of 1 minute per day on Twitter, customer service activity is the most popular activity among the SMBs. Brands that are actively monitoring and responding to comments about their products and services on Twitter find they can provide timely responses to resolve customer service issues. (Twitter, 2019)
As you are planning your social media strategy for the next year, consider these trends. Take the time to measure and analyze the results of your current social marketing efforts and find ways to put these tactics in action to increase your reach and engagement. If you are new to marketing in the social media world, this is a great place to start. While we continue to evolve as consumers of media, you can be sure that social media is only going to grow in use and popularity.
Questions? Just ask. We're here to help.